awaiting images - strip of site photographs

HISTORY

The work had humble beginnings when, in 1948, two Sunday School Teachers from a small church in Ossett, West Yorkshire took a group of boys on a camping holiday to a local beauty spot. It was hugely enjoyed and viewed as very successful so the activity was repeated later in the year.


In the few years that followed, different locations were chosen and other, nearby assemblies were welcomed into the venture. Very quickly it became a mixed camp, then an annual event known as the 'Ossett and District Sunday School Camp'.


By the mid 1950's some 150 people were attending the camp and several sites had been used. A settled period of about 15 years was enjoyed at Ingleton in the Yorkshire Dales. In view of the number of assemblies who had joined the venture, it was renamed the Yorkshire Assemblies Sunday School Camp in 1964 and an organising committee was formed to develop the work.


As a result of the growth in the work, some equipment was acquired and, since it was no longer practical to transport the equipment to and from the site, a small hut to be erected in which to store it.


The work continued and began to outgrow the site at Ingleton so in 1970 a new site was found at Howden in East Yorkshire. The old 'hut' at Ingleton was abandoned and a much larger wooden building purchased and transported to site. As numbers continued to grow, so did the amount of equipment - with tents, chairs, tables, catering equipment and much more being accquired.


In 1980 the Christian farmer at Howden sold his farm and camp had to find a new site. For three years different sites were used - including one at a stately home, Nostell Priory and at Stathern in Leicestershire. The lack of a regular base provided many logistical problems particularly regarding transport and storage. The numbers attending the camp peaked at over 400 during this period and a decision that, in future, camps would be limited to a maximum of 400.


In 1983 a site was found in North Duffield near Selby, North Yorkshire and the connection with this village continued for 17 years although three different sites were used. Logistics problems were still encountered and it was during this period that the Yorkshire Assemblies Camps Trust was established (October 1983) and a search for a permanent site began in earnest.


Foot and Mouth disease forced yet another move to North Lincolnshire for the 2001 camp but the Trust was then finally able to

purchase its own site at Misterton, near Bawtry in South Yorkshire.



***TEXT REQUIRED FOR MORE RECENT HISTORY AND DEVELOPMENTS**